September 17, 2014

Thai Food: Getting Started

So far, we have mostly tried local Thai food in restaurants and food courts -- any place that provides an English menu, really. Two reasons for this: 
  1. The husband is allergic to lemongrass. Yes, seriously! Allergic to lemongrass and living in Thailand...no wonder I've been travelling with an arsenal of anti-allergy medication in my handbag and have stuffed a few into the reluctant spouse's jacket pocket as well.
  2. While I love food, I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of eating a few things (read: offal, brain, insects, etc.).
Due to the above, I wanted my foray into Thai cuisine to begin with subtitles. Once I have a better idea of what's what, I will venture into street-food-land!

So, here's a quick look at the tastiest local Thai dishes I tried last week. (As mentioned above, these are the restaurant-style versions!)

Guay Tiew Phad Sauce XO (wok-fried rice noodles with prawns in XO sauce)



Wonton Noodle Soup (although unspecified in the menu, this had a generous helping of prawns)


Kaow Niew Som Tam Gai Yang (Thailand's famous spicy raw papaya salad, grilled chicken leg, sticky rice, spicy chutney) + my already-beloved Chang beer


Gaeng Mas-Sa-Man Gai Gab Roti (a Thai Mulim chicken curry with fried roti bread)

No comments:

Post a Comment